[Python-Dev] RELEASED: Python 2.6.9 final

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 29 18:48:58 CET 2013

Hello Pythoneers and Pythonistas,

Five years ago this month, we released Python 2.6.  It was an important
version in Python's evolution, as it was developed in tandem with Python 3.0
and had the express intent of starting the transition toward Python 3.

Amazingly, here we are five years later, and I am happy (and a little sad) to
announce the Python 2.6.9 final release.

Python 2.6.9 is a security-only source-only release, and with this, I
officially retire the Python 2.6 branch.  All maintenance of Python 2.6,
including for security issues, has now ended.

So too has my latest stint as Python Release Manager.  Over the 19 years I
have been involved with Python, I've been honored, challenged, stressed, and
immeasurably rewarded by managing several Python releases.  I wish I could
thank each of you individually for all the support you've generously given me
in this role.  You deserve most of the credit for all these great releases;
I'm just a monkey pushing buttons. :)

Here then are some release notes about 2.6.9.

For ongoing maintenance, please see Python 2.7.

Future issues with Python 2.6 may still be tracked in the Python bug tracker,
and you may wish to visit specific issues to see if unofficial patches are
available for 2.6.

    http://bugs.python.org

The source can be downloaded from:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/

You can also see what's changed since Python 2.6.8:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/NEWS.txt

Users on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) please note that issue 18458, which can crash
the interactive interpreter, is *not* fixed in 2.6.9.  If this issue affects
you, please review the tracker for possible options:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue18458

Enjoy,
-Barry
(on behalf of the Python development community)