[Python-Dev] Offtopic: OpenID Providers

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Sep 6 00:07:36 CEST 2013

On Sep 5, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 05:29:07PM -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> I don't want my choice to be log into Facebook or manage a slew of passwords.
>
>   The last part is unavoidable. I regularly login to LiveJournal,
> Twitter, SourceForge, BitBucket, Gitorious, GitHub and to hundreds of
> other sites -- blogs, torrents, web shops. I already manage hundreds of
> passwords. OpenID promised to save me from that and failed. Do you think
> Persona would succeed in this regard (saved me from managing all those
> passwords)? And if not -- what are the benefits? I already manage
> hundreds of passwords -- two or three additional passwords for
> bugs.python.org, wiki.python.org and so on don't make the situation
> worse.
>   IMO the very idea of single sign-on in the open web is meaningless.
>
>> But I'm not volunteering to do the work, so I don't get to decide.  I'm just
>> stating that I think our principle should be that you *can* (not *must*) use
>> free and open services to access our resources.
>
>   Well, I can only use services that are available, not those that are
> promised. If python.org grows support for Persona -- who will be my
> provider and for what price? I am not going to install and manage
> additional software on my servers -- I don't want to be my own provider,
> I have enough job already.

Theoretically whoever runs the domain for your email address (since Persona
uses email as your identifier). In order to make it work as a stop gap they also
have more openid like idP's which they run a major one (that also offers a "bridge"
to make things like Gmail work on Persona without needing to register for anything
else).