[Python-Dev] unicodedata module is out of date

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Sep 6 17:33:47 CEST 2013

Andrew Miller, 06.09.2013 11:54:
> The unicodedata module only contains data up to Unicode 5.2 (October 2009),
> so attempting to reference any character from a later version e.g:
>
> unicodedata.lookup("TURKISH LIRA SIGN")
>
> results in a KeyError.
>
> Also, it seems to be limited to properties in the UnicodeData.txt file and
> does not contain any data from the other files from the Unicode Character
> Database (the perl library Unicode::UCD is far more complete).
>
> Are there any plans to update this module to the latest Unicode version
> (6.2, with 6.3 being released shortly)

It's been updated to 6.2 almost a year ago, so Python 3.3 should have that.

I don't think 6.3 support will be added before Python 3.4, assuming it's
final by then. You should open a ticket so that it won't be forgotten
before the release.

http://bugs.python.org/

That being said, the module is (mostly) generated, so you might be able to
fix it up yourself if you need it sooner in a local installation.

Stefan