[Python-Dev] unicodedata module is out of date

Andrew Miller A.J.Miller at bcs.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 17:55:22 CEST 2013

I've just checked on Python 2.7.5 and Python 3.3.2 (Win32 versions).

In Python 3.3.2 unicodedata.unidata_version is set to '6.1.0'.

In Python 2.7.5 it is set to '5.2.0' so it looks as though this version is
no longer being updated.

Since my initial post I've downloaded the Python 2.7.5 source and have
found the makeunicodedata.py script which creates this module.

Are there plans to add the extra data from the other UCD files to this
module?  At the moment I am using a module from
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/2204527 to obtain the script of a
character but it would be nice if this was available from the standard
library.