[Python-Dev] [python-committers] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0a2

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:51:46 CEST 2013

2013/9/9 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> Le Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:30:50 +0200,
> Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> 2013/9/9 Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org>:
>> > Python 3.4 includes a range of improvements of the 3.x series,
>> > including hundreds of small improvements and bug fixes.  Major new
>> > features and changes in the 3.4 release series so far include:
>> >
>> > * PEP 446, changing file descriptors to not be inherited by default
>> >            in subprocesses
>>
>> The title of the PEP is "Make newly created file descriptors
>> non-inheritable". It has an impact on all functions creating files and
>> sockets not only the subprocess module.
>
> I don't think Larry's description is wrong. "Non-inheritable" is a
> shorthand for "non-inheritable in subprocesses" with "subprocesses"
> taken in the general sense (i.e. not only created with the subprocess
> module).

Oh, I misunderstood "in subprocesses", I read "in the subprocess module".

The definition of FD inheritance is tricky. For example, on UNIX
"non-inheritable" file descriptors are still inherited at fork :-)

I hope that the documentation is explicit enough:
http://docs.python.org/dev/library/os.html#inheritance-of-file-descriptors

Victor