[Python-Dev] Add a "transformdict" to collections

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 12:04:51 CEST 2013

2013/9/10 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> In http://bugs.python.org/issue18986 I proposed adding a new mapping
> type to the collections module.
>
> The original use case is quite common in network programming and
> elsewhere (Eric Snow on the tracker mentioned an application with stock
> symbols). You want to have an associative container which matches keys
> case-insensitively but also preserves the original casing (e.g. for
> presentation). It is a commonly reimplemented container.

If it is commonly reimplemented, what is the most common name? :-)

The http.client and email.message modules convert headers to lower
case, but keep the original case.

> - transformkeydict

Do you know a use case where values need also to be transformed? If
not, I prefer the transformdict name.

> - coercekeydict
> - coercedict

I only read "coerce" in old Python documentation, not in other
languages. I prefer the more common and generic term "tranform".

Victor