[Python-Dev] Add a "transformdict" to collections

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Tue Sep 10 23:44:20 CEST 2013

On 10 September 2013 18:06, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:38:26 -0300
> "Joao S. O. Bueno" <jsbueno at python.org.br> wrote:
>> On 10 September 2013 16:08, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If you provide "retain the last", I can't see any obvious way of
>> > implementing "retain the first" in application code without in effect
>> > reimplementing the class.
>>
>> Which reminds one - this class should obviously have a method for
>> retrivieng the original key value, given a matching key -
>>
>> d.canonical('foo') -> 'Foo'
>
> I don't know. Is there any use case?
> (sure, it is trivially implemented)

Well, I'd expect it to simply be there. I had not thought of
other usecases for the transformdict itself -

but if I would use it and would need the original key
without such a method it would not be trivial to get it.

For example, in latim languages it is common to want
accented letters to match their unaccented counterparts
- pick my own first name "João" - if I'd use a transform to strip
the diactriticals, and have an user input "joao" - it would match,
as intended - but I would not be able to retrieve the accented version
without re-implementing the class behavior.

  js
 -><-