[Python-Dev] Add a "transformdict" to collections

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 23:39:31 CEST 2013

On 12 September 2013 02:03, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 09/11/2013 08:49 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
>> 2013/9/11 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
>>
>>> He isn't keeping the key unchanged (notice no white space in MAPPING),
>>> he's
>>> merely providing a function that will automatically strip the whitespace
>>> from key lookups.
>>>

>> transformdict keeps the key unchanged, see the first message:
>>
>>     >>> d = transformdict(str.lower)
>>     >>> d['Foo'] = 5
>>     >>> d['foo']
>>     5
>>     >>> d['FOO']
>>     5
>>     >>> list(d)
>>     ['Foo']

That seems backwards to me. I would think that retrieving the keys from the
dict would return the transformed keys (I'd call them canonical keys). That
way there's no question about which key is stored - it's *always* the
transformed key.

In fact, I think this might get more traction if it were referred to as a
canonicalising dictionary (bikeshedding, I know).

Tim Delaney