[Python-Dev] PEP 447: add type.__locallookup__

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 13 06:26:06 CEST 2013

Last I checked, looking up in the instance dict us exactly what it does. Even the example you posted is doing that. And the only difference from __getattribute__ is that it throws instead of following the MRO, which is intended to allow base classes (via super, and another call to this method) to dynamically respond to a getattr without the cooperation of subclasses.

Consider class A, which knows it has a method F, but will not create it until the first __getattribute__ call. Now class B derives from A, and someone calls super(B).F(obj). Currently, super only looks in __dict__ for F, which will fail to invoke A.__getattribute__. Because super is used to provide MRO traversal, it can't rely on B.__getattribute__ to perform the traversal, so it currently has no choice.

The PEP was originally adding a special class method to provide a __getattribute__ equivalent that would not traverse the MRO, so that super could use it and people can create dynamic classes that can act as base classes. I pointed out that this could be an instance method (thereby avoid automatic-classmethod magic) and implemented on a metaclass for the class behavior. Unless the PEP has changed recently, this is still an instance method that will look up members defined directly on the type and not on base classes.

There may still be valid questions to answer (such as, should overrides if this method on base classes be inherited), but whether it is a type/class method is no longer one of those.

Cheers,
Steve

Sent from my Windows Phone