[Python-Dev] PEP 450 adding statistics module

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 17 01:59:13 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:42:12AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm ready to accept this PEP. Because I haven't read this entire thread
> (and 60 messages about random diversions is really too much to try and
> catch up on) I'll give people 24 hours to remind me of outstanding
> rejections.
>
> I also haven't reviewed the code in any detail, but I believe the code
> review is going well, so I'm not concerned that the PEP would have to
> revised based on that alone.

There are a couple of outstanding issues that I am aware of, but I don't
believe that either of these affect acceptance/rejection of the PEP.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Implementation details of the statistics.sum function. Oscar is
giving me a lot of very valuable assistance speeding up the
implementation of sum.

2) The current implementation has extensive docstrings, but will also
need a separate statistics.rst file.

I don't recall any other outstanding issues, if I have forgotten any,
please remind me.

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 10:51:57AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > Never mind, I found the patch and the issue. I really think that the
> > > *PEP* is ready for inclusion after the open issues are changed into
> > > something like Discussion or Future Work, and after adding a more
> > > prominent link to the issue with the patch. Then the *patch* can be
> > > reviewed some more until it is ready -- it looks very close already.
> >
> > I've updated the PEP as requested. Is there anything further that needs
> > to be done to have it approved?
> >
> > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0450/
> >

> > --
> > Steven