[Python-Dev] PEP 453 Round 4 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 19 15:52:01 CEST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 September 2013 14:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Major changes:
>>
>> * Removal of the option to fetch pip from PyPI in order not to modify the trust model of the Python installers
>> * Consequently rename the model from ``getpip`` to ``extractpip``
>
> If extractpip (I agree, I don't like the name, installpip is better)
> only ever unpacks the bundled pip, and it's always run, why bother?
> Why not just bundle pip directly into site-packages? The extra step
> seems to add little or no value.
>
> Paul

Well it's not always run (the PEP has it as an option in the
installers that is checked by default) but even if it were always
installed:

- Nick has stated something about making it clear in the OSs
  installer DB which files are owned by Python and which are
  owned by pip
- Upgrading becomes harder, instead of simply using pip's own
  mechanism the installer needs to take care not to clobber a user
  installed pip that is even newer than the bundled version.
- "Fixing" a broken environment. If someone accidentally uninstalls
   pip this provides a simple way to reinstall it that doesn't require
   the old standby of getpip.py

Donald Stufft