[Python-Dev] PEP 453 Round 4 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 19 15:57:02 CEST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:48:49PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> That's OK, especially if running "pip" recommends installing "python-pip" and
>> "pyvenv" and "extractpip" are also separated out so that running "pyvenv"
>> recommends installing a suitable package that depends on both Python and
>> "python-pip".
>
> Sounds sane to me!
>
>> We can add that to the PEP as an alternative approach for redistributors to
>> take that still offers a reasonable end-user experience.
>
> That'd really be great, and I'm sure it'd cut off the small bit of
> concern some Debian-folk have about this stuff :)

This also sounds reasonable to me. Really the PEP is about reducing user friction,
especially for new users, so the ideal method is to ensure it's always installed
but it'd be totally OK to do what Nick suggested as that still at leasts lets pypi
packages to simply document installing as ``pip install <package>`` and if it's not
installed by default on Debian they'll get a good message telling them what they
need to do.

Donald Stufft