[Python-Dev] Use an empty def as a lambda

Xavier Morel catch-all at masklinn.net
Thu Sep 19 23:21:11 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-19, at 23:17 , Nick Coghlan wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2013 07:04, "Joe Pinsonault" <joe.pinsonault at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think it's a great idea personally. It's explicit and obvious. "lamda"
> is too computer sciencey
>
> This suggestion has been made many times, occasionally with the associated
> "must be contained in parentheses when used as an expression" caveat that
> is needed to avoid making the language grammar ambiguous at the statement
> level.

Examples of some of these times:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/AlternateLambdaSyntax
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060415.html
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/thread.html#60415

Unless significant new insight is developed or Guido has picked the
functional bug at dropbox, merely suggesting a name change from lambda
to def (which has already been suggested in the past) probably isn't
going to cut it.