[Python-Dev] Use an empty def as a lambda

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 03:49:39 CEST 2013

This is true.  The final object the Python creates is, to my knowledge,
the same regardless of whether it uses define or lambda.  But it's
irrelevant if it's the same or not, since one could argue that every-
thing is going to end up as a series of 0s and 1s.  In that sense a
function is nothing more than a glorified integer.  Lambda function is
just a term, like method or procedure instead function, although it is
certainly more specific in the sense that it is anonymous.  In my list I
was citing general concepts, not specific Python objects.

class is obvious, lambda is obvious, def is not as obvious, though
certainly more obvious than C-style declarations.  If lambda should
change I think anon or expr would be more suitable, or even func (so
long as def not become func).