[Python-Dev] Best practice for documentation for std lib

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Sep 23 01:19:21 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Xavier Morel <python-dev at masklinn.net>wrote:

> The points here are that there's a single source of truth (so we can't
> have conflicting docstring and rst documentation), and documentation
> becoming outdated can be noticed from both docstring and published
> documentation.

Another case of DRY madness.

It seems too many programmers see documentation as unpleasant red tape they
want to cut through as quickly as possible, instead of an opportunity to
communicate with their *users*. To the contrary: users should be the most
important people in the world if you're writing code that's worth
documenting at all.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)