[Python-Dev] Revert #12085 fix for __del__ attribute error message

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:51:04 CEST 2013

On 23 September 2013 18:45, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:17:51 +1000,
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> Here's what I suggest changing that error to:

>> Unraisable exception suppressed when calling <bound method C.__del__
>> of <__main__.C object at 0x7f98b8b61538>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 3, in __del__
>> RuntimeError: Going away now
>
> Why not simply "Exception automatically caught in <bound method

It only answers the "what" (i.e. the exception was automatically
caught), without addressing the "why" (i.e. because there wasn't
anything else useful the interpreter could do with it)

"Suppressed" also says more than "caught" does, since "caught and
reraised the exception" makes sense, while "suppressed and reraised
the exception" contradicts itself.

Cheers,
Nick.