[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Sep 24 01:39:53 CEST 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 7:34 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> One final comment is that the PEP does not go into any detail on how it
> will be implemented.  As it stands, there is a fair amount of one-time
> work, including implementing ensurepip, changes to the Windows installer,
> changes to the OS X installer, documentation changes, all with testing and
> backporting to 2.7.x and 3.3.x.  Then there are the on-going process changes
> for all future releases, impacting all release team members, which will need
> to be documented in PEP 101.  Do we have an understanding of who is do the
> big pieces and by when?  For the record, I am willing to do the extra
> one-time and ongoing work for the OS X installers but it would be helpful
> to know how we are going to get it all done in time for upcoming releases.

I'm in a meeting right now so I only skimmed this email, but I wanted to mention
here that I've been assuming I would be writing the python portions of this. I don't
know how to do the OSX/Window installer pieces and I was hoping that the
relevant people would be at least willing to help me figure it out or would implement
the parts that need to be done inside the installers (mostly running the command).

Donald Stufft