[Python-Dev] Installing python27-devel on Centos5.8 running python2.4

alok bhan rajalokan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 10:07:28 CEST 2013

Hi All

I need help in installing python development packages (python27-devel) on
Centos5.8. Upgrading hardware is not an option as of now.

I've installed python2.7 in the same machine by
$ wget --no-check-certificate
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/Python-2.7.3.tgz
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Python2.7
$ make altinstall

Now I need help in installing python-devel package for 2.7.

$ sudo yum info python2.7-devel gives no info. Whereas the package is there
for python26-devel.

Tried many suggestions after googling but still no luck. Any help or
pointer for exact steps will be great.

Thanks
Alok Bhan