[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 26 01:08:54 CEST 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 09:01 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Would a leading underscore in the module name make you more comfortable
>with the idea? It's really intended mostly as a hidden implementation
>detail of the installers and pyvenv anyway, so calling it "_ensurepip"
>would help make that explicit while still letting people invoke it directly
>if absolutely necessary.

If it was also undocumented, and we can guarantee that it will have no impact
outside of the module itself, then maybe.  I'm not sure it would be enough for
me to accept it if I were the RM, but I'm not (thankfully. :).

I still think it's optimistic to pin any hopes on its widespread availability
in future 2.7 point releases on people's actual systems.

-Barry