[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 26 03:52:25 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft writes:

 > On Sep 25, 2013, at 7:04 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
 >
 > > So, why shouldn't we add enum to the Python 2.7 stdlib?  Or any
 > > other new feature?  Just be aware that if this PEP is accepted
 > > for Python 2.7, the bar will be set much lower for other Really
 > > Useful Features That Make Users Lives Better.
 >
 > Because with PEP453 you can just ``pip install enum34`` it :)

Uh, I've been doing that for years (well, not with ``enum34``, to be
sure).  And not just with 2.7, 2.6 and 2.5 too.  Who needs PEP 453?
Not me (ironically, I'll probably have a PEP 453 Python within 48
hours of its public release).

OTOH, as Barry points out, the target population doesn't upgrade very
often.  What gets them to upgrade (or install in parallel) is the
installation of a package that requires an upgraded Python.  But that
typically means a bump from x.y to x.z, and that will never happen to
2.7.  So they'll see a failure of some kind anyway if the ensurepip
feature is used!  That is going to blowback on distributors, which is
going to make PEP 453 real popular with them.  Not.