[Python-Dev] Revert #12085 fix for __del__ attribute error message

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Sep 26 07:42:54 CEST 2013

Hi Nick,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm strongly in favour of Georg's one ("Exception in __del__ caught and not propagated").
>
> Such a change is highly unlikely to happen, as it would require
> changing every location where we call PyErr_WriteUnraisable.

Er, why?  It seems to me it's a matter of changing these three lines
in PyErr_WriteUnraisable():

-           PyFile_WriteString("Exception ignored in: ", f);
+          PyFile_WriteString("Exception in ", f);
            PyFile_WriteObject(obj, f, 0);
-           PyFile_WriteString("\n", f);
+          PyFile_WriteString(" caught and not propagated:\n", f);

I don't see what makes this technically different from the other
solution, "Cannot propagate exception..."

A bientôt,

Armin.