[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:20:49 CEST 2013

On 27 Sep 2013 00:12, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:54:49 +1000,
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
> > On 26 September 2013 14:30, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That said, there are changes that I think are definitely worth
> > > making due to the concerns you raise:
> > >
> > > - the module name should be "_ensurepip" in all versions
> > > - the PEP should explicitly state that the "don't remove _ensurepip
> > > and it's wheel files" caveat for redistributors applies only in 3.4+
> > > (where removing it will break pyvenv)
> >
> > Donald pointed out it makes more sense to continue with the idea of a
> > properly documented public "ensurepip" module in 3.4+, and have the
> > "_ensurepip" version as an implementation detail of the 2.7 and 3.3
> > installers that is included in the stdlib primarily so it can be
> > covered by the existing buildbot fleet.
>
> Hmm, but what is the point of "_ensurepip" exactly? Are people supposed
> to type "python -m _ensurepip"?

> With all due respect, Barry's argument looks rather paranoid to me.
> I would suggest a clear choice:
> - either having "ensurepip" in 2.7 is useful and we endorse it as a
>   public module (not something hidden somewhere) - which I personally
>   think is reasonable
> - or it's not useful and we don't introduce it at all
>
> A middleground doesn't make sense here, except in a broken "design by
> committee" sense.

The *only* reason to have _ensurepip in the older versions is to make the
"install pip" option in the installers work. By contrast, in 3.4+ it will
be integrated into pyvenv and a fully supported API.

The two levels make sense to me, especially since pyvenv in 3.3 *won't* be
updated to invoke it automatically. 2.7 and 3.3 users will still need to
install and use virtualenv to get pip automatically installed in virtual
environments.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com