[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 27 22:09:01 CEST 2013

On 9/27/2013 3:10 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> I add: for 2.7/3.3, there is consequently no need for _ensurepip to be in /Lib after installation, even if temporarily added*. If it is not there, there is no change the the stdlib, and hence no violation of the 'no new features' policy. The optional installation of pip is not a change to Python itself.
>
> This sounds like a really bad idea to me.

Why would you think that an idea aimed at ending an argument blocking
your proposal is bad. This seems like a really bad response to me.

> You're going to end up with a different stdlib not only by minor release, but by if they installed through an installer or not.

The current proposal is to add a new module to the stdlib in a bugfix
release, which looks like a violation of current policy. We agree that
that end result of pip installed would be good. We are arguing over
whether adding '_' to the name makes it not a violation or whether the
good outweighs the bad of a violation. I claim that the arguement is not
necessary and can be ended by not making the addition or by hiding it.

I presume your objection refers to the fact that one can clone the
repository and compile Python on Windows, albeit with some difficulty.
My three responses:

1. I do not consider the the result to be 'installed Python', at least
not as I have used the project file.

2. The ratio of people building Python on Windows to those downloading
and running an installer is so close to 0 that it can be ignored. People
who build Python on Windows are not typical Python beginners.

3. If you do not agree with 1 and 2 and object to _ensurepip being in
/Lib in such limited circumstances, then either put it in /Tools/scripts
or do not use it at all. I already said that the 2.7/3.3 Windows
installer maker (Martin) should decide whether to even use it.

4. The argument for including _ensurepip somewhere in the repository it
that people who *do* build python.exe could then use it to install pip
the first time. /Tools/scripts would be sufficient for this.

5. The result of not having /Lib/_ensurepip in installed Python would,
in any case, be a lessor violation of the policy.

--
Terry Jan Reedy