[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Sep 28 09:20:40 CEST 2013

In article
<CAP1=2W44X6+zaQ9=-J4SdekUJ0CxWy7b8YYk=eWM=88CODbn5w at mail.gmail.com>,
 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Zachary Ware
> <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com>wrote:
> > The way I read Terry's proposal, it is to never add the _ensurepip
> > *module*, but to use (or make available, whichever makes sense in a
> > given case) the _ensurepip *script* when it is requested at
> > install-time: specifically, put _ensurepip.py in Tools/scripts, PC/,
> > Mac/, or really anywhere but Lib/ so that builders can find it, but
> > Python can't.  In other words, don't make "import _ensurepip" possible
> > out of the box, and a lot of the "don't add new features in
> > maintenance releases" blockade disappears, because you aren't actually
> > adding any new capability to Python itself or its standard library.
> >
> > Of course, this proposal only applies to 2.7/3.3.  Since _ensurepip
> > will be used for venv as well as initial install in 3.4, it should be
> > a full-blown stdlib module in that version, probably even without the
> > leading underscore.
> That's how I read the proposal as well. If that works then great, otherwise
> naming it _ensurepip in 2.7/3.3 should be enough to warn anyone that they
> are playing with fire. I think Martin, Ned, etc. would need to weigh in on
> whether it's at all an issue having the ensurepip script somewhere that
> doesn't get installed but executable from the installer is at all an issue.
> For source it can just be in Tools for 2.7/3.3 if that's the route chosen.

Putting an "ensurepip.py" script (with or without the "_") in Tools/ should be
fine for the needs of 2.7 and/or 3.3 OS X installers.  Without venv in the
picture, it doesn't need to do much; the installer build script itself could
handle everything without an ensurepip.  There are still other changes in the
installer that would need to be made, particularly if it is necessary to make
the installation of pip (and its dependency, setuptools) optional but all of
those would be isolated to the Mac subdirectory.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org