[Python-Dev] Pyston: a Python JIT on LLVM

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Apr 4 10:59:06 CEST 2014

Hello,

Le 03/04/2014 20:19, Kevin Modzelewski a écrit :
> I'm excited to announce Pyston, a Python JIT under development at
> Dropbox, built on top of LLVM.  You can read more about it at the
> introductory blog post
> <https://tech.dropbox.com/2014/04/introducing-pyston-an-upcoming-jit-based-python-implementation/>,
> or check out the code on github <https://github.com/dropbox/pyston>.

I'm a bit surprised by the approach. Why don't you simply process
CPython bytecode, rather than strive to reimplement Python fully?

Also, I wonder if it's worthwhile to use a conservative GC, rather than
reuse the original refcounting scheme (especially since you want to
support existing extension modules).

Regards

Antoine.