[Python-Dev] New absolute __file__ in Python 3.4

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 4 21:26:49 CEST 2014

On 4/4/2014 11:21 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> https://docs.python.org/3.4/whatsnew/3.4.html#other-language-changes
>
> 1. Is this absolute name with symlinks resolved?
> 2. Why there is a special case for __main__?
> (i.e. Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.)

Did you read the linked issue?
http://bugs.python.org/issue18416

> 3. What link should I click in Python reference to read
>      about standard globals like __file__ and this change?
>      https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/index.html

I don't know how you got that link. Learn to use the general index
listed on the contents page and top right of every page. For underscore
names, https://docs.python.org/3/genindex-_.html. __file__ will lead you
to the module entry in Chapter 3 Data model, section 2 The standard type
hierarchy. Looking up module/namespace gets you to the same place. It is
possible that the discussion of '__file__' should be slightly revised in
light of the What's new entry.

--
Terry Jan Reedy