[Python-Dev] PEP 465: A dedicated infix operator for matrix multiplication

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 8 04:02:34 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 06:06:17PM -0700, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 18:04, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > > It occurs to me that since that Aprils' Fools joke is many years old
> > > now, we should remove it.
> >
> > -1 on removal.
>
> You can't be serious.

I can't? Would it help if I sprinkle smileys and *winks* throughout my
post?

> > It makes a nice Easter Egg, especially now that "import this" has become
> > less of an Easter Egg and more of a standard Python module :-)
>
> It's a terrible Easter Egg because it's basically a CPython core
> developer in-joke.

Are we really going to start arguing about humour and what makes a good
easter egg? I suppose next you're going to tell me that Monty Python
isn't very funny.

It is precisely because it is a subtle in-joke that makes it a good
easter egg. It's not difficult to find, just import __future__ as a
regular module and call dir(__future__), so the fun is not in
discovering the egg, but in working out what it does and what it means.

Many, many more people take part in the CPython core developer culture
than just the core developers themselves. Look at the readership of this
mailing list, which is open to the public and has regular posters who
aren't core developers. In-jokes like Guido as the BDFL and Tim Peter's
"adverb-phrase-ly 'yrs" signatures have become widely known throughout
the Python community. Barry as FLUFL is less well known, but still
accessible to anyone willing to put the effort in. These days, when
almost any in-joke is only a quick google search away from being
explained, that effort is trivial.

So yes, I am serious.

--
Steven