[Python-Dev] issue with itertools leads the crash

Geoffrey Spear geoffspear at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 20:40:21 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2014-04-09 14:26, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> On 08/04/2014 17:30, MRAB wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2014-04-08 16:31, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>>
>>> Something for Python 3.5, maybe? :-)
>>>
>>> It's not going to happen in Python 2.7; that's the end of the Python 2
>>> series, and it's getting security fixes only.
>>

>> According to http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/ the final
>> release of 2.7 is scheduled to be 2.7.9 in May 2015.  Did you mean to
>> say that 2.7 isn't getting new features?
>>
> Err, probably... :-(

Of course, this raises the question of whether making slice assignment
not go into an infinite loop when the programmer asks it to is a
bugfix or a new feature.

Calling:

    list(itertools.cycle([0]))

exhibits the same behavior for the same reason, and I don't think
anyone would call that a bug in Python.