[Python-Dev] death to 2.7; long live 2.7

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Thu Apr 10 03:22:10 CEST 2014

This email is to share idea that has been bouncing around in my head for
a while about 2.7 releases. Guido's last email containing notes from the
language summit made me think it's time to propose it.

We'll keep doing what we're currently doing for another year, making
normal bug fix releases with installers. After that, we _won't_ close
2.7 to normal bug fixes as is currently implied by the release schedule.
Instead dealing 2.7 will just be completely optional for core
developers. (The much anticipated vendor support arrives at this point.)
Releases will continue at a measured (6-12 months) pace. These releases
will be source only (unless someone steps up to make installers).

Planning-on-making-2.7-releases-'til-the-cows-come-home-ly yours,
Benjamin