[Python-Dev] PEP 461: Adding % formatting to bytes and bytearray -- Final, Take 3

Augie Fackler raf at durin42.com
Sat Apr 12 17:08:13 CEST 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:47:59 +0000
> Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu Mar 27 2014 at 2:42:40 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Much better, but I'm still not happy with including %s at all. Otherwise
> > > it's accept-worthy. (How's that for pressure. :-)
> > >

> > But if we only add %b and leave out %s then how is this going to lead to
> > Python 2/3 compatible code since %b is not in Python 2? Or am I
> > misunderstanding you?
>
> I think we have reached a point where adding porting-related facilities
> in 3.5 may actually slow down the pace of porting, rather than
> accelerate it (because people will then wait for 3.5 to start porting
> stuff).
>
> I understand that sentiment but that is an unjustified fear. It is not a good reason not to do it. Projects are already trying to port stuff today and running into roadblocks when it comes to ascii-compatible bytes formatting for real world data formats in code needing to be 2.x compatible. I'm pulling out my practicality beats purity card here.
>
> Mercurial is one of the large Python 2.4-2.7 code bases that needs this feature in order to support Python 3 in a sane manner. (+Augie Fackler to look at the latest http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0461/ to confirm usefulness)

That looks sufficient to me - the biggest thing is being able to do

"abort: %s is broken" % some_filename_that_is_bytes

and have that work sanely, as well as the numerics. This looks like exactly what we need, but I'd love to test it soon (I'm happy to build a 3.5 from tip for testing) so that if it's not Right[0] changes can be made before it's permanent. Feel encouraged to CC me on patches or something for testing (or mail me directly when it lands).

Thanks!

AF