[Python-Dev] 2.7 Windows installers (Was: death to 2.7; long live 2.7)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 13 22:51:28 CEST 2014

Am 13.04.14 22:02, schrieb Steve Dower:
> I replied to the other email before I saw this one.

Same here :-)

> Consider this my self-nomination to take over, pending a quick email to
> Microsoft's lawyers to make sure it's okay (it should be, but IANAL and
> they wrote the policy).
>
> My plan would be to rewrite the installer using WiX but retaining
> compatibility with the existing MSIs. I'd also automate as much as
> possible to make it very easy for someone else with the certificates to
> build/verify the release.
>
> Happy to answer any other questions or provide more background about
> myself if people ask.

As I just said: to get started, run the current build process. Without
knowing WiX in detail, I'd still claim that msi.py is superiour in
terms of expressiveness (i.e. it can better compute what files go into
the MSI). I'm almost certain that you need a full programming language
to actually perform the entire build; one alternative to msi.py would
be to have a Python script generating the WiX configuration files.

Regards,
Martin