[Python-Dev] this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 00:21:19 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> Interesting idea, but YAGNI?

Not at all. Think of every script you execute that's written in Python. One
of the things the Mercurial folks say is hindering any motivation to switch
to Python 3 is the startup performance.

> In my work environment (Python 2.7.2, all the heavy lifting done in
> C++), startup costs are dominated by dynamic linking of all our C++
> libraries and their Boost wrappers:

Sure, but not everyone uses Boost or has long running processes where
startup time is minuscule compared to the total execution time.

-Brett