[Python-Dev] Python "2migr8"

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 15 01:27:13 CEST 2014

On 4/14/2014 5:16 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2014, at 4:39 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org
> <mailto:guido at python.org>> wrote:

>> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io
>> <mailto:donald at stufft.io>> wrote:

>>     On Apr 14, 2014, at 3:53 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>>     <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:

>>     > On 4/14/2014 11:32 AM, Steve Dower wrote:
>>     [...]
>>     >> However unfair
>>     >> and incorrect it may be, there is a perception in some businesses
>>     >> that open-source projects do not want contributions from them.

I took this to mean that they think any 'do not want' is peculiar to
them as from a business. Perhaps I was wrong to project that on them.

>>     > For PSF/CPython, this is so untrue that it looks to me like an
>>     excuse to take without giving back.

What I meant would be untrue would be a claim that this project does not
want contributions in particular from people in business organizations.
A generic claim that pydev is unwelcoming or sometimes off-putting to
newcomers, for instance, would be a different issue.

>>     As someone who *has* given back, I can certainly understand why
>>     someone would feel that way. It often times *does* feel like
>>     CPython doesn’t want contributions.

>> Donald, your remark in itself sounds unnecessarily (and
>> unproductively!) passive-aggressive. What have we done wrong to you,
>> and what can we do to avoid making the same mistake in the future (to
>> you, and to others)?

> Hmm, I’m sorry if I came across that way. I didn’t mean to. I do think
> contributing directly to CPython is often times off-putting to people

Change 'often' to 'sometimes' and I would agree.

--
Terry Jan Reedy