[Python-Dev] Mercurial sluggishness (was: this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:40:21 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> I find it hard to believe
> that freezing the stdlib is going to lower the barrier enough for the
> Mercurial folks, if, in fact, import slowness is their main reason for
> not moving to 3.x.

I've no idea whether that's the case or not. All I know is, every time
I need to work with a Mercurial repo it feels a lot slower than doing
similar work on a similar size git repo [1], so any improvement (or
reduction of penalty) will be noticeable. Every time you type 'hg
something', it has to do those imports, so startup time is
significant.

ChrisA
[1] One time I actually did a conversion of CPython from hg into git,
just so I could do some analysis and digging. Worked out considerably
faster, although that's only because I left the import/conversion
process to run by itself while I made a hot chocolate, which meant I
was waiting less time.