[Python-Dev] Mercurial sluggishness (was: this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup)

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:09:16 CEST 2014

In case you were wondering, I'm using Ubuntu's "2.7.5+" and "3.3.2+".

My feeling has long been that the speed of getting at the "--help"
option or any initial user feedback from Mercurial or git is a big
driver in perceived speed as opposed to how long the entire operation
might take. But for me any initial speed improvements from git are
fully offset by the feeling of irritation afterwards. /troll

For me Python's startup time (warm) takes about 1/4 of the hg startup
time in the worst case. I expect to both notice and appreciate any
speedups and encourage all optimizers to optimize.