[Python-Dev] this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 16 18:25:22 CEST 2014

Am 14.04.14 23:51, schrieb Brett Cannon:
> It was realized during PyCon that since we are freezing importlib we
> could now consider freezing all the modules to cut out having to stat or
> read them from disk.
[...]
> Thoughts?

They still get read from disk, except that it is the operating system
that does the reading. So what you really save is the access to many
tiny files; something that can also be achieved with the zipfile import.
So I wonder how your all-frozen binary compares to a standard binary
with a python35.zip.

If it is comparable, I'd rather extend on that route, i.e. promote
putting the standard library into a zip file in the default
installation, and also find a way where (say) /usr/bin/hg could
conveniently specify a zip file that will contain the Mercurial
byte code. For example, we could support a -Z option for the interpreter
which would allow to append a zip file to a script that gets put on
sys.path.

Regards,
Martin