[Python-Dev] this is what happens if you freeze all the modules required for startup

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 17 22:38:17 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu Apr 17 2014 at 3:21:49 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry to keep asking dumb questions, but your description didn't job
>> my understanding of what you are comparing here. What is slower than what?
>>

> Startup where the stdlib is entirely in a zip file is slower than the
> status quo of reading from files.

That deserves more research. I'm not sure I believe we understand exactly
what goes on in each case -- perhaps our zip reading code isn't as
efficient as it could be? It would also be interesting to compare different
platforms.

> IOW it looks like speeding up startup from an import perspective requires
> either freezing modules -- for about a 10% boost -- or some fundamental
> change in import that no one has thought of yet.

And it's probably premature. (Unless you already have a prototype and it
shows a solid speedup.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)