[Python-Dev] PEP 469: Restoring the iterkeys/values/items() methods

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 15:55:26 CEST 2014

On 20 Apr 2014 08:14, "Markus Unterwaditzer" <markus at unterwaditzer.net>
wrote:

> Also, that's why people demanded a Python 2.8... so that you don't have to
> pollute Python 3 instead.

It doesn't actually solve the problem in the library and framework cases
though - most folks that are straddling 2/3 want to keep compatibility back
to at least 2.6.

That said, I think we've covered most of what can be discussed based on
this initial iteration of the PEP. To advance the discussion further I need
to do a new draft that:

- quantifies the scale of the change to the dict API and covers ideas for
mitigating that impact (like immediate deprecation and potentially even
hiding them from dir(), or adding proper function and method deprecation
support to pydoc)

- quantifies the number of lines of Python 2 code potentially saved near
term modification, or, if they have added Python 3 support already, the
amount of work that *could* have been saved (I'm not a big enough fan of
the proposal to do that work myself, though - if the folks requesting the
change aren't sufficiently interested to consider it worth their while to
quantify the direct benefits even deprecated methods could have saved them,
I consider that a data point in its own right)

- explicitly covers all the different ways methods that produce iterators
can be operated on, and how those need to be handled differently when
migrating to the common subset of Python 2 & 3 rather than directly to 3.

Regards,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com