[Python-Dev] ConfigParser mangles keys with special chars

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Fri Apr 25 18:46:42 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:
> While it seems ConfigParser doesn't do any escaping as all, I'm
> thinking it should at least raise some exception when such a value is
> trying to be set.
>
> I'd expect writing something and then reading it back via the same
> configparser to *always* result in the same data, as long as writing
> worked without error.
>
> Thoughts? Should I submit a bug report?

I believe you should, if only to provide a place to record why no
change gets made.

Had ConfigParser been more careful from the beginning, that would have
been really good.

At this point, it would be a backward-incompatible change, so it's
unlikely such a change could be allowed to affect existing code.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein