[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Apr 26 02:13:35 CEST 2014

On Apr 25, 2014, at 7:56 PM, Florent <florent.xicluna at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Florent is claiming the endorsement of the PEP 8 authors
>> and the consensus of python-dev for the tool's default behaviour
>> (as noted above, this makes it personal for me, as I am a
>> co-author of PEP 8).
>
> You're a co-author of PEP 8 since less than a year.
> I'm the maintainer of the pep8 tool since 2010.
>
> You should probably read the LICENSE file which is shipped with the
> pep8 too, and the disclaimer that I've posted previously.  Never I
> engage the responsibility of the authors of the PEP 8 document, and I
> don't give any guarantee of being a *strict* PEP 8 compliance tool.

I agree that I’ve never taken the name to mean that you’re claiming any
sort of endorsement. There are a *vast* number of projects that implement
something that was defined somewhere else and I don’t think any reasonable
person can assume that all of those tools are endorsed by the authors
of what they are implementing.