[Python-Dev] Python 2.7.7. on Windows

Mike Miller python-dev at mgmiller.net
Mon Apr 28 22:56:10 CEST 2014

On 04/29/2014 08:38 AM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> The option to add the current install to your path was added 3.3.

Ok, thanks.  So there is some precedent it would be useful.

>> Remember, python-dev's are not the target users of this package, and are a
>> rather minuscule fraction of the user base.
>
> Knowing which Python you want on your path and that you want it on
> your path at all is somewhat of an advanced usage.
> They can do
> whatever they want to do within that context without modifying their
> entire system. If they learn that they later want their system-wide
> path manipulated...

Installing python at all is a "system-wide" change.  Why not default to a known
safe, ready to use configuration, rather than a "tool-box" that needs assembly?

> * watch Dave Beazley's PyCon 2014 talk for a good story involving one
> of those manufacturer installed Pythons:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4Sn-Y7AP8

Thanks, I'm trying to get thru all the talk will watch that shortly. ;)

Still, edge cases regarding manufactures should not override the needs of the
majority of users.

-Mike