[Python-Dev] Exposing the Android platform existence to Python modules

Charles-François Natali cf.natali at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:49:52 CEST 2014

>> Is your P.S. suggestive that you would not be willing to support your port for use by others?  Of course, until it is somewhat complete, it is hard to know how complete and compatible it can be.
>
> Oh, no, nothing like that. It's just that I'm not sure, as goes for anything, that it would be accepted into mainline CPython. Better safe than sorry in that aspect: maybe the maintainers don't want to support Android in the first place. :)

Well, Android is so popular that supporting it would definitely be interesting.
There are a couple questions however (I'm not familiar at all with
Android, I don't have a smartphone ;-):
- Do you have an idea of the amount of work/patch size required? Do
you have an example of a patch (even if it's a work-in-progess)?
- Is there really a common Android platform? I've heard a lot about
fragmentation, so would we have to support several Android flavours
(like #ifdef __ANDROID_VENDOR_A__, #elif defined
__ANDROID_VENDOR_B__)?