[Python-Dev] Reviving restricted mode?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 13 20:11:07 CEST 2014

On 8/13/2014 12:19 PM, matsjoyce wrote:
> Unless you remove all the things labelled "keep away from children". I wrote
> this sandbox to allow python to be used as a "mods"/"add-ons" language for a
> game I'm writing, hence the perhaps too strict nature.
>
> About the crashers: as this is for games, its "fine" for the game to crash,
> as long as the sandbox is not broken while crashing.
>
> time and math can probably be allowed, but random imports a lot of
> undesirable modules.
>
> My sandbox doesn't use proxies, due to the introspection and complexity that
> it involves. Instead it completely isolates the sandboxed globals, and checks
> all arguments and globals for irregularities before passing control to non-
> sandboxed functions.

pydev is for mainly for discussion of maintaining current versions and
development of the next, and for discussion of PEPs which might apply to
the one after next.

This discussion should be on python-list or perhaps python-ideas if
there is a semi-concrete proposal for a future python.

--
Terry Jan Reedy