[Python-Dev] Multiline with statement line continuation

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 10:04:13 CEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> If people were going to be prone to mistake
>>
>>     with (a, b, c): ...
>>
>> as including a tuple
>
> … because the parens are a strong signal “this is an expression to be
> evaluated, resulting in a single value to use in the statement”.
>
>> they would have already mistaken:
>>
>>     with a, b, c: ...
>>
>> the same way. But they haven't.
>
> Right. The presence or absence of parens make a big semantic difference.

At least historically so, since "except a, b:" and "except (a, b):"
used to be different things (only the latter constructs a tuple in
2.x). OTOH, consider "from .. import (..., ..., ...)".

Pretty sure at this point parens can be used for non-expressions quite
reasonably -- although I'd still prefer just allowing newlines without
requiring extra syntax.

-- Devin