[Python-Dev] PEP 4000 to explicitly declare we won't be doing a Py3k style compatibility break again?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Aug 17 15:29:19 CEST 2014

On Aug 16, 2014, at 07:43 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>(Don't understand this to mean that we should never deprecate things.
>Deprecations will happen, they are necessary for the evolution of any
>programming language. But they won't ever hurt in the way that Python 3
>hurt.)

It would be useful to explore what causes the most pain in the 2->3
transition?  IMHO, it's not the deprecations or changes such as print ->
print().  It's the bytes/str split - a fundamental change to core and common
data types.  The question then is whether you foresee any similar looming
pervasive change? [*]

-Barry

[*] I was going to add a joke about mandatory static type checking, but
sometimes jokes are blown up into apocalyptic prophesy around here. ;)