[Python-Dev] "embedded NUL character" exceptions

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 16:47:57 CEST 2014

Currently most functions which accepts string argument which then passed
to C function as NUL-terminated string, reject strings with embedded NUL
character and raise TypeError. ValueError looks more appropriate here,
because argument type is correct (str), only its value is wrong. But
this is backward incompatible change.

I think that we should get rid of this legacy inconsistency sooner or
later. Why not fix it right now? I have opened an issue on the tracker
[1], but this issue requires more broad discussion.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue22215