[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:31:52 CEST 2014

On 21 Aug 2014 08:19, "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>
>> I think if you want low-level features (such as unconverted bytes paths
under POSIX), it is reasonable to point you to low-level APIs.

> The problem with scandir() in particular is that there is
> currently *no* low-level API exposed that gives the same
> functionality.
>
> If scandir() is not to support bytes paths, I'd suggest
> exposing the opendir() and readdir() system calls with
> bytes path support.

scandir is low level (the entire os module is low level). In fact, aside
from pathlib, I'd consider pretty much every API we have that deals with
paths to be low level - that's a large part of the reason we needed pathlib!

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com