[Python-Dev] https:bugs.python.org -- Untrusted Connection (Firefox)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:44:37 CEST 2014

On 22 August 2014 00:41, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18 August 2014 22:30, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:
>>    Aha, I see now -- the signing certificate is CAcert, which I've
>> installed manually.
>
> I don't suppose anyone is particularly annoyed by this fact?  I know
> for sure two classes of people that will never click "Ignore".  The
> first one is people that, for lack of a less negative term, I'll call
> "security freaks".  The second is "serious business people" to which
> the shiny new look of python.org appeals; they are likely to heed the
> warning "Legitimate banks, stores, etc. will never ask you to do this"
> and would regard an official hint to ignore it as highly
> unprofessional.

I've now raised this issue with the infrastructure team. The current
hosting arrangements for bugs.python.org were put in place when the
PSF didn't have any on-call system administrators of its own, but now
that we do, it may be time to migrate that service to a location where
we can switch to a more appropriate SSL certificate.

Anyone interested in following the discussion further may wish to join
infrastructure at python.org

Regards,
Nick.