[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Aug 22 02:00:02 CEST 2014

On 8/21/2014 3:42 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> I wonder how badly a Unix system would break if you specified UTF16 as
> the system encoding...?
> Paul

Does Unix even support UTF-16 as an encoding? I suppose, these days, it
probably does, for reading contents of files created on Windows, etc.
(Unicode was just gaining traction when I last used Unix in a
significant manner; yes, my web host runs Linux, and I know enough to do
what can be done there... but haven't experimented with encodings other
than ASCII & UTF-8 on the web host, and don't intend to).

If it allows configuration of UTF-16 or UTF-32 as system encodings, I
would consider that a bug, though, as too much of Unix predates Unicode,
and would be likely to fail.