[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Aug 22 01:56:59 CEST 2014

On 8/21/2014 3:54 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Le 21/08/2014 18:27, Cameron Simpson a écrit :
>> As
>> remarked, codes 0 (NUL) and 47 (ASCII slash code) _are_ special to UNIX
>> filename bytes strings.
>
> So you admit that POSIX mandates that file paths are expressed in an
> ASCII-compatible encoding after all? Good. I've nothing to add to your
> rant.
>
> Antoine.

0 and 47 are certainly originally derived from ASCII.  However, there
could be lots of encodings that are not ASCII compatible (but in
practice, probably very few, since most encodings _are_ ASCII
compatible) that could be fit those constraints.

So while as a technical matter, Cameron is correct that Unix only treats
0 & 47 as special, and that is insufficient to declare that encodings
must be ASCII compatible, as a practical matter, since most encodings
are ASCII compatible anyway, it would be hard to find very many that
could be used successfully with Unix file names that are not ASCII
compatible, that could comply with the 0 & 47 requirements.